Sunday Round Up + This Week In Crazy
- Apparently Congress is starting to care about women in the military and the fact that they are being sexually assaulted at an alarming rate. Except not that much. You have to call you Senators and Representatives. It’s an easy thing to do. Call and then send a follow up email. Demand that they support the Shaheen Amendment. I think it’s beyond time for asking for support.
- Boeing is refusing to extend benefits to legally married same sex partners. Guess what they are using as justification. If you guessed DOMA give yourself a gold star. In case “one of us could die,” is not enough of an inducement try this; separate but equal is never equal. It’s only ever separate.
- Ask me again why “it’s always about race.” Go on. I dare you.
- Do you have someone in your life bleating about the deficit? Great. Explain this to them very slowly. Low taxes cause high deficits. When the nation takes in lower revenue, we have to borrow more. See how that works?
- How about someone in your life directly or indirectly insisting that the problem with the nation is “takers” who are parasitically living on the labor of the “makers”? Have the mentioned the fictional 47%? Tell them to fuck right off. Everyone pays taxes. Period.
- it’s OK with me if you point and laugh at anyone who uses the phrase “foreign oil.” Yes even the president.
- Ummm. Someone is a little confused about how the Constitution works. Or perhaps he has the president confused with Vladimir Putin. Far right crazy, you never disappoint me. In case you don’t want to watch the whole thing, and I’ll admit, I had to grit my teeth and force myself to pay attention a few times, it’s a sales schtick couched in othering, racist dog whistles and bullshit.
There’s a hell of a lot going on out there and we got a hell of a lot of work to do. Pick a cause or two or ten, get educated and get activist. Here’s a little inspiration for you:
Pick your prize, pick your path. Let’s do a job.